Cyrus R Stearns has twenty seven years of experience in the stud of Tibetan language, literature, and religion. He has extensive experience in the translation of Tibetan Buddhist texts into English. From 1973 until 1987 he studied with the late Dezhung Tulku Rinpoche, and from 1985 until 1991 with Chogye Trichen Rinpoche. During most of these years he was the principal translator for both teachers. Cyrus lived for about eight years Nepal, India and Southeast Asia. he has often translated for Tibetan teachers of all traditions during public talks and seminars in the United States, europe, and Southeast Asia.
Cyrus was educated iat the University of Alabama and received his PhD from the University of Washington in 1996. In 1985 Cyrus was the leader of the Smithsonian Institutes Associates Tour to Tibet and china, one of the first groups allowed into Tibet after many years of travel restriction by the Chinese government. His publications include, in addition to various scholarly papers, The Buddha from Dolpo: A Study of the Life and Thought of the Tibetan Master Dolpopa Sherab Gyaltsen, Albany: State University of New York Press, 1999. © 2004 Institute of Tibetan Classics
To add to your page, just press the Edit tab above, fill in the blanks, and press "save page" below.
Please be thorough!
- Hermit of Go Cliffs: Timeless Instructions from a Tibetan Mystic; Cyrus Stearns, Translator; ISBN 0-86171-164-5
- Luminous Lives: The Story of the Early Masters of the Lam 'bras in Tibet; Cyrus Stearns; ISBN 0-86171-307-9
- The Buddha from Dolpo: A Study of the Life and Thought of the Tibetan Master Dolpopa Sherab Gyaltsen, Albany: State University of New York Press, 1999. ISBN ___
- Portraits of the Masters: Bronze Sculptures of the Tibetan Buddhist Lineages
- The Life and Teachings of the Tibetan Saint Thang-stong rgyal-po, "King of the Empty Plain" (Univ. Washington, Master's thesis, 1980).
- Fortunate to Behold, by HE Chogye Trichen Rinpoche, translated into English by Cyrus Stearns. Printed at Sahayogi Press, 1986.
Unpublished Works (completed)